Bulk Shipping Your Small Packages With UPS Hundredweight Service®
Bulk orders are great, right? But bulk shipment creation … maybe not so much. Consolidating your parcels can cut back on logistics and costs, and make inbound logistics easier for your customers, but can seem daunting if you’re going it alone.
Luckily, UPS Hundredweight Service® is a bulk shipping solution that gives small and mid-size businesses (SMBs) a big opportunity for their small packages while reducing the burden of keying repetitive shipment details.
What is UPS Hundredweight Service?
This service is purpose-built for multiple-package parcel shipments bound to the same destination. With UPS Hundredweight Shipping Service, as long as individual packages weigh less than 150 lbs., they can be shipped together in the same multi-piece shipment, and there is no cap on the total weight of the combined packages.
It is also a great option for less-than-truckload (LTL) shippers who are able to break down their palletized shipments headed to a single destination. If your items are contained in a box or other UPS-approved package, they can be picked up alongside any other parcel shipments and move through the UPS service network.
What are the requirements for UPS Hundredweight Shipping Service?
Depending on the UPS service option you select, certain conditions will apply to your UPS 100 weight shipment. Here are some examples:
- When using 3 Day Select® or UPS® Ground delivery, your total shipment weight must meet or exceed 200 lbs.
- The most economical rate pound for these delivery speeds is between 500-999 lbs.
- When selecting UPS Next Day Air®, UPS Next Day Air Saver®, UPS 2nd Day Air® A.M. or UPS 2nd Day Air® service, your total shipment weight must be at least 100 lbs.
Your shipment should also fit inside a standard box or other UPS-approved container, as well as adhere to the standard weight and size limits, in order to avoid unexpected fees or service interruptions. While there are pricing tiers for weight ranges, exact costs will be determined based on your packages’ characteristics as well as the shipping service you select, along with any special handling or additional services.
What are the benefits of UPS Hundredweight Service?
When you need a viable UPS bulk shipping solution, this fits the bill, allowing you to send the same quantity of items, in one shipment, with some added benefits:
- Cost savings – You won’t incur a pickup fee, and if you’re using it as an alternative to LTL freight shipping, you’ll also avoid common freight surcharges like inside delivery. You will also decrease your billable weight since there’s no pallet to pack on the pounds!
- Economies of scale – While rates differ by shipment, sending several individual packages is generally more expensive than one multi-piece shipment, which is weighed as one unit. For instance, five individual 50-lb. shipments would be more expensive than one multi-piece shipment consisting of five packages totaling 250 lbs. because rates per pound decrease as shipments get heavier.
- Streamlined planning – Accounting for just one pickup type for all your packages makes planning your day and your fulfillment schedule easier. Plus, with day- or time-definite guarantees (depending on the service level selected), your recipients can better plan for their delivery’s arrival.
- Consolidated tracking – A multi-piece shipment is easy to monitor with tracking information for each individual package, plus a single code for the bundle. Plus, with up to three delivery attempts, you gain confidence your shipment will arrive as intended.
Explore Hundredweight and UPS bulk shipping solutions
Establishing the right multi-piece shipping strategy for your business can help uncover time – and money-saving efficiencies that help you keep up with growing demands. Reach out to Worldwide Express, part of the nation’s largest non-retail Authorized Reseller of UPS shipping services, and a shipping expert will help you uncover big opportunities for your small packages.