Worldwide Express 2020 Holiday Hub
The peak season is in full effect, keeping shippers on the edge of their seats. We're here for you, providing the latest information and key resources to keep you focused on giving your customers a happier holiday.
Use this page as your one-stop-shop throughout the holiday rush to stay up to date on:
- Carrier service alerts
- Holiday service schedules
- Rates and surcharges
- Best practices, tips and resources
Important deadlines and reminders for your holiday shipping
UPS® alerts – Updated 12/1/2020
- Tuesday, Dec. 15: Last day to ship with UPS® Ground service for Dec. 24 delivery
- Monday, Dec. 21: This is the last day to ship UPS 3 Day Select® packages for delivery on Thursday, Dec. 24
- See the UPS shipping schedule below for more upcoming deadlines and make sure to factor that into every booked shipment, along with noting any days with shortened pickup windows and operating hours.
- The UPS Service Guarantee is currently suspended for all shipments. Plan for an extra day or two for deliveries.
- Note: UPS Next Day Air Saver® and UPS 2nd Day Air A.M.® have end-of-day delivery windows
Freight alerts – Updated 12/1/2020
- Check SpeedShip® for the latest updates to carrier-specific rates, surcharges and delivery date guarantees
- Throughout the peak season, freight carriers are continuing to update their schedules. See the most up-to-date freight carrier schedule below.
Make sure to regularly check out our Service Alerts page before booking shipments to ensure your shipments stay on track.
- Carriers have suspended service guarantees for the peak season. Keep your customers in the loop with proactive status changes.
- When delays happen, make sure your shipments are first in the pecking order. Next-day services from UPS® take precedence over two- and three-day services, which in turn take priority over Ground shipments.
Holiday rates and surcharges
Fuller trucks lead to higher costs. This year, carriers are experiencing even higher demand than usual. Plan your budget for surcharges and higher rates per value-added service. This includes a peak surcharge, fuel, special handling, package dimensions and other factors.
UPS Parcel Service
UPS Peak Surcharges come with terms and conditions based on a shipper's volume, chosen service levels, departure and arrival locations, date of booking and other variables.
As of October 30, current Peak Surcharges apply to:
- UPS® Ground Residential, UPS® Air Residential and UPS SurePost® packages for all U.S. origins and destinations, for qualifying customers
- International shipments from all origins to all destinations
- Large Packages, packages that are Over Maximum Limits and packages that require Additional Handling
Refer to the UPS website, above, for full details of applicable Peak Surcharges. UPS may change rates as the season progresses and there's a lot to digest. We're happy to walk you through a full breakdown of these additional costs.
Surcharges will vary between carriers, but you should anticipate higher rates and additional charges. We talk to your LTL and FTL carriers every day – contact us for help navigating the full costs of shipments.
Best Practices, Tips & Resources
A few key nuances might make the difference this season. Keep these factors in mind when planning your shipments this holiday:
- Christmas is on a Friday, so there's no weekend buffer for shipment delays. Plan to get shipments out ahead of carrier cutoffs.
Learn more: 5 Ways to Prep for the Holiday Shipping Rush
- Make life easy on drivers – they'll be moving fast. Be organized and ready for your pickups so nothing is left behind.
- A spike in e-commerce activity will keep your parcel and freight operations busy. Shore up your processes for online fulfillment.
Learn more: Your Guide to Holiday Shipping: Parcel Edition
- LTL pickups will take longer than usual due to fuller trucks. Plan pickups early in the day to ensure your freight stays on schedule.
Learn more: Your Guide to Holiday Shipping: Freight Edition
- Full trucks mean more potential for loss or damage. Stock up on supplies, package with care and opt for insurance for high-value and fragile items.
Learn more: UPS Capital® Shipment Insurance Program
Learn more: Keys to Winterproofing Your Shipping Logistics